USNS Private Francis X. McGraw (T-AK-241)
|Name:||Private Francis X. McGraw|
|Namesake:||A U.S. Army name retained, Francis X. McGraw|
|Ordered:||as type (VC2-S-AP2) hull, MCV hull 796|
|Builder:||California Shipbuilding Corporation, Los Angeles, California|
|Laid down:||as SS Wabash Victory|
|Launched:||6 September 1944|
|Sponsored by:||Mrs. A. Easterbrook|
|Acquired:||by the U.S. Army, 14 June 1946; by the United States Navy, 1 March 1950|
|Commissioned:||circa 31 October 1947 as USAT Private Francis X. McGraw|
|Decommissioned:||1 March 1950|
|In service:||1 March 1950 as USNS Private Francis X. McGraw (T-AK-241)|
|Out of service:||date unknown|
|American Campaign Medal|
|Fate:||transferred to the reserve fleet on 8 May 1974; scrapped 21 August 1974|
|Type:||Boulder Victory-class cargo ship|
|Propulsion:||steam turbine, single propeller, 8,500shp|
|Complement:||99 officers and enlisted|
USNS Private Francis X. McGraw (T-AK-241) was a Boulder Victory-class cargo ship built at the end of World War II and served the war and its demilitarization as a commercial cargo vessel. From 1946 to 1950 she served the U.S. Army as a transport named USAT Private Francis X. McGraw. In 1950 she was acquired by the United States Navy and assigned to the Military Sea Transportation Service. In 1974 she ended her career and was scrapped.
Victory ship built in California
Private Francis X. McGraw was laid down as SS Wabash Victory (MCV hull 796) by the California Shipbuilding Corporation, Los Angeles, California; launched 6 September 1945; sponsored by Mrs. A. Easterbrook; and delivered to the U.S. Maritime Commission 7 June 1945.
Operated by the Interocean Steamship Company under General Agency Agreement, Wabash Victory carried cargo and passengers to Eniwetok, Ulithi, and Okinawa and, from there, back to the U.S. West Coast between 8 August and 3 November 1945. Employed along the Oregon and California coasts for the next four months, she transited the Panama Canal in mid-March 1946, then headed across the Atlantic Ocean to France. On the 28th, she arrived at Le Havre to begin transporting men and equipment between Europe and the United States.
U.S. Army service
Two and a half months later, on 14 June 1946, she was transferred to the U.S. War Department but continued her transatlantic runs as an Army transport. Renamed Private Francis X. McGraw, 31 October 1947, the Victory ship remained a unit of the Army Transportation Service until 1 March 1950.
Service with the MSTS
Then returned to the U.S. Maritime Commission, she was simultaneously transferred to the Navy, given the designation T–AK–241, and assigned to the newly formed Military Sea Transportation Service (MSTS).
Since that time, Private Francis X. McGraw, manned by a civil service crew, carried supplies and equipment to “far flung” ports for MSTS, Atlantic. Although primarily rotated between Caribbean, North Sea, and Mediterranean runs, she has, when necessary, and particularly from the mid-1960’s into 1970, been diverted from such assignments to carry cargo to Pacific Ocean ports.
The vessel was decommissioned and struck from the Navy list at unknown dates. She was transferred to the U.S. Maritime Administration on 8 May 1974 and was sold for scrapping on 21 August 1974.
Honors and awards
- This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- USNS Pvt. Francis X. McGraw (T-AK-241) – ex - USAT Pvt. Francis X. McGraw (1947 - 1950)
- Ship infoboxes without an image
- Pages with broken file links
- Wikipedia articles incorporating text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
- Victory ships
- Ships built in Los Angeles, California
- 1944 ships
- World War II merchant ships of the United States
- Ships of the United States Army
- Boulder Victory class cargo ships