USS Gamage (IX-227)
From SpottingWorld, the Hub for the SpottingWorld network...
(Redirected from SS William B. Allison)
|Name:||USS Gamage (IX-227)|
|Builder:||California Shipbuilding Corporation|
|Laid down:||as SS William B. Allison|
|Launched:||8 March 1943|
|Acquired:||30 July 1945|
|In service:||30 July 1945|
|Out of service:||8 February 1946|
|General characteristics for Liberty ships|
|Length:||135 m (441 ft 6 in)|
|Beam:||17.3 m (56 ft 10.75 in)|
|Draught:||8.5 m (27 ft 9.25 in)|
Two oil fired boilers, |
triple expansion steam engine,
single screw, 2500 horsepower (1.9 MW)
|Speed:||11 to 11.5 knots (20 to 21 km/h)|
|Range:||23,000 miles (37,000 km)|
|Capacity:||10,856 metric tons deadweight (DWT)|
|Armament:||Stern-mounted 4 in (102 mm) deck gun for use against surfaced submarines, variety of anti-aircraft guns.|
For other ships of the same name, see USS Gamage.
USS Gamage (IX-227), an unclassified miscellaneous vessel, was the second ship of the United States Navy to have that name. Her keel was laid down as Liberty ship William B. Allison under Maritime Commission contract by California Shipbuilding Corporation, in Los Angeles, California. She was launched on 8 March 1943, acquired by the US Navy and renamed Gamage on 30 July 1945 for use as floating storage for lubricants and drummed petroleum products at Ulithi. She was placed out of service 8 February 1946 and returned to the War Shipping Administration on 5 April. She was sold to China Merchants & Engineers Incorporated on 19 February 1948.
- This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.