The Clyde was a 1,840-ton, iron sailing ship with a length of 270.9 feet, breadth of 39 feet and depth of 22.5 feet. She was built by Russell & Company, Port Glasgow, Scotland, for the Nourse Line, and named after the River Clyde flowing through Glasgow, and launched on 25 July 1894. The Clyde was the last ship built for the Nourse Line. She was primarily used for the transportation of Indian indentured labourers to the colonies. Details of some of these voyages are as follows:
|Destination||Date of Arrival||Number of Passengers||Deaths During Voyage|
|Fiji||1 June 1897||670||n/a|
|Trinidad||16 February 1902||574||4|
|Suriname||14 December 1904||n/a||n/a|
On 9 March 1906 she ran aground at Cape Hatteras, on route from Barbados to New York. She was refloated on 9 May 1906 and taken to New York for repairs. On 31 July 1906 she was sold to M & G.R. Clover of London. She was resold a number of times to different Norwegian owners and broken up in 1924.
- Perry, F. W. (1991). Nourse Line. World Ship Society. ISBN 0-905617-62-2.
- Lubbock, Basil (1981). Coolie ships and oil sailors. Brown, Son & Ferguson. ISBN 0-85174-111-8.