|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. Please help improve this article by introducing appropriate citations of additional sources. (December 2009)|
The DCV Balder is a Deepwater Construction Vessel (DCV) operated by Heerema Marine Contractors. It was constructed in 1978 by Mitsui Engineering & Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. as semi-submersible crane vessel. In 2001 it was converted to a DCV by Verolme Botlek BV in the Netherlands.
The Balder has two cranes (3600 t, 2700 t). In the course of the conversion it was equipped with a class III Dynamic Positioning system for position keeping. It is fitted with seven 3,500 kW azimuth thrusters and two propellers.
The hull consists of two floaters with three columns each. Transit draught is ±12 meters. For lifting operations it will normally be ballasted down to 25 meters, so the floaters (with a draught of 12 meters) are well-submerged, to reduce the effect of waves and swell.
It is able to accommodate 350 persons.
|Length overall||154 meters|
|Breadth (incl. J-Lay)||118 meters|
|Max. draught||27 meters|
|Depth to workdeck||42 meters|
|Height J-Lay tower to workdeck||101 meters|
|Lightship weight||49,631 tonnes|
|Max. displacement||104,355 tonnes|
- In 1978 Occidental’s Piper Alpha was the first platform installation with a Semi Submersible Crane Vessel.
- In 2005 the world's largest semi-submersible platform, BP's Thunder Horse, was installed.
- In 2005 it assisted in the uprighting of BP’s Thunder Horse, found listing dramatically after hurricane Dennis.
- In 2006 it installed BP’s Mardi Gras Atlantis gas export pipeline (0.6 m / 24 in diameter) in a record breaking water depth of 2220 meters (7217 feet).
- in 2007 it moored the Independence Hub Facility in a record breaking water depth of 2438 m (8000 ft), with a world record for the deepest flow line installation of 2743 m (9000 ft).
- Keppel Verolme Projects - Balder : http://www.keppelverolme.com/increasingly-complex-conversion-projects/
- "Heerema Mooring Line Deployment Winch". http://www.heerema.com/content/hmc/equipment/balder/mldw.htm. [dead link]
- "OilOnline, Making deepwater history". http://www.oilonline.com/news/features/oe/20050426.Making_d.17784.asp. [dead link]
- "Oil Online, Back from the Brink". http://www.oilonline.com/news/features/oe/20050801.Back_fro.18695.asp. [dead link]
- "World Pipelines, Installing on Time". http://www.heerema.com/content/hmc/inthenews/editorials/items/200602worldpipelines.pdf. [dead link]
- "Rigzone, Heerema Sets World Records in Independence Hub Installation Tuesday, April 17, 2007". http://www.rigzone.com/news/article.asp?a_id=43978.