|HMAS Tingira moored in Rose Bay, Sydney in 1912|
HMAS Tingira moored in Rose Bay, Sydney in 1912
|Builder:||Alexander Hall & Co|
|Fate:||Scuttled off Sydney in 1941|
|Length:||272 ft (82.9 m)|
|Beam:||40 ft (12.2 m)|
|Draught:||27 feet (8.2 m)|
|Complement:||250 passengers; 60-70 crew|
HMAS Tingira was a naval training ship of the Royal Australia Navy (RAN) between 1911 and 1927. Built by Alexander Hall & Co., Aberdeen, Scotland in 1866 and was known as Sobraon. Scuttled off Sydney Harbour in 1941.
|This section requires expansion.|
Purchased from the NSW Government in 1911 and refitted as a training ship and renamed HMAS Tingira after an Aboriginal word for 'open sea', Tingira was moored at a swinging moor at Rose Bay between 1912 to 1927 and was used to train over 3,000 Australian sailors.
There is a small park on the Rose Bay waterfront which commemorates Tingira.
She was scuttled at sea in 1941.
- "Tingira Memorial Park". 2009. http://www.woollahra.nsw.gov.au/services/parks/parks_and_playgrounds_by_alphabet/tingira_reserve. Retrieved 2009-02-01.