HMS Apollo (1794)
|Builder:||Blackwall Yard, London|
She was built at Blackwall Yard in 1794, and served from 1796 under Captain Manley. In June of that year, she and Doris captured a French ship of 22 guns which was taken into service by the Navy as Legere. In 1798 Captain Peter Halkett was appointed to the command of Apollo; on 7 January 1799 she was wrecked on the Haak Sands, off the coast of Holland, whilst chasing a Dutch vessel. In a subsequent court martial, the pilot was found guilty of negligence and Captain Halkett exonerated; he was appointed to a newly built 36-gun frigate, also named Apollo.
- "Apollo (38), 1794". Ships of the Old Navy. http://www.ageofnelson.org/MichaelPhillips/info.php?ref=0188. Retrieved 2009-11-03.