HMS Dreadnought (1654)
|Builder:||Henry Johnson, Blackwall Yard|
|Renamed:||HMS Dreadnought, 1660|
|General characteristics |
|Class and type:||Speaker-class frigate|
|Tons burthen:||738.6 long tons (750.5 t)|
|Length:||116 ft 8 in (35.6 m) (keel)|
|Beam:||34 ft 6 in (10.5 m)|
|Depth of hold:||14 ft 2 in (4.3 m)|
|Sail plan:||Full rigged ship|
|Armament:||52 guns (at launch); 62 guns (1677)|
Torrington was a 52-gun Third rate ship of the line, built under the 1652 Programme for the navy of the Commonwealth of England by Henry Johnson at Blackwall Yard, London, and launched in 1654. She was named for the Parliamentarian victory at the Battle of Torrington in 1646. After the Restoration in 1660, she was renamed HMS Dreadnought. By 1677 her armament had been increased to 62 guns.
- Lavery, Ships of the Line, vol. 1, p. 159.
- Lavery, Brian (2003) The Ship of the Line - Volume 1: The development of the battlefleet 1650-1850. Conway Maritime Press. ISBN 0-85177-252-8.
- Winfield, Rif (2009) British Warships in the Age of Sail 1603-1714: Design, Construction, Careers and Fates. Seaforth Publishing. ISBN 978-1084832-040-6.
|50px||This article about a ship of the line of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Ship Spotting World by expanding it.|