HMS Engadine (1941)
Aerial view in December 1942
|Builder:||Greenock Dockyard Company, Greenock, Scotland|
|Laid down:||16 March 1940|
|Launched:||26 May 1941|
|Completed:||17 November 1941|
|Fate:||Scrapped, November 1962|
|Class and type:||Cameron-class steamer|
|Displacement:||9,909 long tons (10,068 t)|
|Length:||464 ft (141 m)|
|Beam:||63 ft (19 m)|
|Draught:||30 ft (9.1 m)|
|Propulsion:||2 × steam triple expansion and exhaust turbines|
|Speed:||16 knots (30 km/h; 18 mph)|
She was originally built for the Clan Line, and named Clan Buchanan (the previous Clan Buchanan having been sunk by the German raider Pinguin on 28 April 1941). However she was taken over by the British Royal Navy before completion and renamed in honour of the first HMS Engadine for use as an seaplane depot ship.
She was loaned to the US Navy from November 1942 until July 1943. At the end of the war, she was sold back to the Clan Line in 1946 and reverted to her original name. The ship was eventually scrapped at Cartagena, Spain in November 1962.
- "Clan Line". merchantnavyofficers.com. http://www.merchantnavyofficers.com/clanline5rev.html. Retrieved 23 February 2010.
|40px||This article about a specific naval ship or boat of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Ship Spotting World by expanding it.|