HMS Herald (H138)
|This article does not cite any references or sources.
Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (December 2009)
|Career (United Kingdom)|
|Name:||HMS Herald (H138)|
|Builder:||Robb Caledon, Leith|
|Decommissioned:||31 May 2001|
|Refit:||Fitted with a strengthened and extended flight deck for Lynx helicopter, 1988|
|Fate:||Sold to private hydrographic company 2001|
2,000 tons standard|
2,945 tons full load
|Length:||79 m (259 ft 2 in)|
|Beam:||15.4 m (50 ft 6 in)|
|Draught:||4.9 m (16 ft 1 in)|
3 × Paxman 12 YJCZ diesels producing 2,434 hp
1 electric motor producing 2,000 shp, driving a single shaft
11 kn (20 km/h) cruise |
14 kn (26 km/h) maximum
|Range:||12,000 nmi (22,000 km) at 11 kn (20 km/h)|
|Boats and landing|
|2 × 35 ft (11 m) surveying motor boats|
|Complement:||12 officers and 116 men|
Kelvin Hughes Type 1006 radar|
Hydroplot Satellite navigation system
computerised data logging
|Aviation facilities:||Helideck for 1 × Westland Lynx HAS 2/3|
HMS Herald was the last A-class ocean survey ship in Service with the RN, and is a veteran of both the Falklands War and Gulf War. Herald been replaced by two new survey vessels, HMS Echo (H87) and HMS Enterprise (H88). Herald was paid off on 12 April 2001 and decommissioned on 31 May 2001. Herald was built by Robb Caledon Shipbuilders in Leith, Scotland.
In December 2000, Herald answered a Mayday call and took part in a joint operation with the RAF to rescue the crew of the Cypriot ferry Royal Prince. The 35-metre ship sank in rough seas, but the crew were plucked to safety and taken to HMS Herald by an RAF helicopter from RAF Akrotiri.
After de-commissioning, Herald joined her sister HMS Hecla (A133) in Waterford after a brief re-fit in Cork dockyard. She was renamed "Somerville" after Admiral Somerville and was used for a hydrographic survey in Irish waters.