HMS Liverpool (1758)
|This article does not cite any references or sources.
Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (June 2008)
The second Liverpool, built in its namesake city, was launched on 10 February 1758. She was a sixth-rate frigate of the Coventry class with a small displacement of 590 tons (3½ tons more than designed) and armed with 28 guns. She was engaged in blockading Dunkirk, where a French expedition had been assembled for a potential invasion of Ireland or Scotland. Whilst on this duty, Liverpool captured a French privateer vessel, bringing her into Margate Roads. Liverpool shortly afterwards captured another French privateer, known as the Grand Admiral. The ship continued in service in the English Channel and North Sea until 1764 when her career came to a brief end and she was paid off in Woolwich. She underwent a Great Repair between March 1766 and April 1767, and re-commissioned in March 1767 and was subsequently ordered to Newfoundland. After two years service there she journeyed to the Mediterranean, remaining there till her eventual return for paying off in Chatham, England in March 1772. On 15 July 1775, Liverpool was re-commissioned for the final time. She served in the Mediterranean once more, then after a while joined the Fleet in North America under Viscount Howe in 1777, during the American Revolution, but it turned into a fateful deployment for the ship. On 11 February 1778 she was wrecked in Jamaica Bay, Long Island.
- Rif Winfield, British Warships in the Age of Sail, 1714-1792: Design, Construction, Careers and Fates. Seaforth Publishing, 2007. ISBN978-1-84415-700-6.