HMS Pelorus (1896)
HMS Pelorus was the first of the Pelorus class cruisers, laid down at Sheerness dockyard in 1896. Completed and commissioned into the Royal Navy on December 15 of the same year, it was designed by Sir William White. The ship was well armed for its size, but was primarily a workhorse for the overseas fleet.
HMS Pelorus displaced 2,135 tons and had a top speed of 20 knots (37 km/h). It had reciprocating triple expansion engines and Normand water-tube boilers which could give 7,000 horsepower (5,200 kW) for limited periods of time with forced draught, and 5,000 horsepower (3,700 kW) under natural draught. It carried a crew complement of 224 men and it was armed with eight QF 4 inch (102 mm) (25 pounder) guns, eight QF 3 pounder (47-mm) guns, three machine guns, and two 18-inch (450-mm) torpedo tubes.
In 1906, the ship was assigned to the Cape of Good Hope Station under the command of Commander James C. Tancred.
|40px||This article about a specific naval ship or boat of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Ship Spotting World by expanding it.|