HMS Royal Oak (1809)
|Name:||HMS Royal Oak|
|Builder:||Dudman, Deptford Wharf|
|Laid down:||December 1805|
|Launched:||4 March 1809|
|Fate:||Broken up, 1850|
|General characteristics |
|Class and type:||Fame-class ship of the line|
|Tons burthen:||1759 tons (1787.2 tonnes)|
|Length:||175 ft (53 m) (gundeck)|
|Beam:||47 ft 6 in (14.48 m)|
|Depth of hold:||20 ft 6 in (6.25 m)|
|Sail plan:||Full rigged ship|
|Complement:||650 officers and men (inc. 60-80 marines)|
In 1812 Royal Oak was under the command of Captain T.G. Shortland, who was superseded by Captain Edward Dix in 1813. During this time she was the Flagship of Rear Admiral Lord Amelius Beauclerk, off the Texel.
On 1 June 1814 Rear Admiral Pulteney Malcolm, who had hoisted his flag aboard Royal Oak, proceeded with troops under Brigadier General Ross to North America. Malcolm accompanied Sir Alexander Cochrane on the expedition up the Chesapeake and regulated the debarkation and embarkation of the troops employed against Washington and Baltimore.
From 1825 Royal Oak was employed on harbour service, until in 1850 she was broken up.
- Lavery, Ships of the Line vol.1, p188.
- Lavery, Brian (2003) The Ship of the Line - Volume 1: The development of the battlefleet 1650-1850. Conway Maritime Press. ISBN 0-85177-252-8.
|50px||This article about a ship of the line of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Ship Spotting World by expanding it.|