International Access 303
|Crew||Single or Two|
|LOA||3.03 m (9.9 ft)|
|Beam||1.35 m (4 ft 5 in)|
|Draft||1 m (3 ft 3 in)|
|Hull weight||62 kg (140 lb)|
|Mast height||4.75 m (15.6 ft)|
|Main & Jib area||5.8 m2 (62 sq ft)|
|Mainsail area||4.4 m2 (47 sq ft)|
|Jib / Genoa area||1.4 m2 (15 sq ft)|
The International Access 303 is a single or two crew sailing dinghy, which is recognised by the International Sailing Federation as an international class. It is typically regarded as being a beginners dinghy.
Performance and design
The Access 303 is largely similar to the Access 2.3 of the same class. It has the same joystick control, as well as the high boom and the setup whereby the helm and crew are sat facing forwards. It also has the same electric servo-assisted drives, making it suitable for people with physical disabilities.
Like the 2.3 the 303 has the same low ballast and high sides, making is stable and safe.
However, the 303 does have some differences, for instance, the rig has been raised and a jib has been added to the rig. Although the jib is self-tacking the addition of it to the rigging does mean that the crew have an extra sail to trim. Another change from the 2.3 is the possibility to sail the 303 as a two man boat, although it is still possible to sail it solo. This change means that the boat is highly ideal for coaching, as the coach can sit in the boat with the crew and let them run over the various aspects of control in a safe way whilst on the water.
Access 303 sport
There is also a Access 303 sport, which is single crew only, and is designed for more experienced sailors who wish to try sailing solo.
- "Access 303". www.skud.org. http://www.skud.org/default.asp?Page=18382&MenuID=Classes/13153/0/. Retrieved 26 January 2010.
- "Access 303 Wide". www.sailingforall.com. http://www.sailingforall.com/spage-boats-access_303_wide.html. Retrieved 26 January 2010.
- "Access 303 Wide Seater". www.accesssailing.com. http://www.accesssailing.com/default.asp?Page=19869&MenuID=Boats/13166/0/. Retrieved 26 January 2010.
- "Access 303 Wide". www.accessdinghy.org. http://www.accessdinghy.org/equipment/boats/303wide.htm. Retrieved 26 January 2010.
- "Access 303 Sport". www.sailingforall.com. http://www.sailingforall.com/spage-boats-access_303_sport.html. Retrieved 26 January 2010.