MV Pieter Corneliszoon Hooft
Plans of Pieter Corneliszoon Hooft
|Name:||Pieter Corneliszoon Hooft|
|Namesake:||Pieter Corneliszoon Hooft|
|Owner:||Stoomvaart Maatschappij Nederland, Amsterdam|
|Port of registry:||Amsterdam|
|Builder:||Société des Ateliers et Chantiers de la Loire, St. Nazaire|
|Launched:||1925, St Nazaire|
|Completed:||July 1926, Amsterdam|
|In service:||23 July 1926|
|Out of service:||14 November 1932|
Code Letters PQFV|
|Fate:||Burnt out, later scrapped|
525 feet (160.02 m) (1926–31)|
534 feet (162.76 m) (1931–32)
|Beam:||68 feet 1 inch (20.75 m)|
|Depth:||35 feet (10.67 m)|
2 x 8-cylinder Sulzer diesel engines 8,000 horsepower (6,000 kW) (1926–31)|
2 x 9-cylinder Sulzer diesel engines 14,000 horsepower (10,000 kW) (1931–32)
16 knots (30 km/h) (1926–31)|
18 knots (33 km/h) (1931–32)
The Pieter Corneliszoon Hooft was a Dutch ocean liner built in 1925. An onboard fire destroyed her passenger accommodation before she was completed. In 1932, another fire damaged her so severely that she was sold for scrapping, only to catch fire again before she was scrapped.
Pieter Corneliszoon Hooft was built by Société des Ateliers et Chantiers de la Loire, St Nazaire, France. She was yard number 256. The ship was launched in 1925, but on 25 December a fire gutted her passenger accommodation. As her builders were unable to complete her in time, the ship was towed to Amsterdam for completion. Pieter Corneliszoon Hooft made her maiden voyage on 26 July 1926. She was used on the Amsterdam–Java route. In 1930, she was withdrawn from service as she was too slow. The Rotterdamsche Droogdok Maatschappij lengthened her by 9 feet (2.74 m), and replaced her two 8-cylinder engines with two 9-cylinder engines. During trials, one of her propellors broke.
On 14 November 1932, a fire broke out while Pieter Corneliszoon Hooft was moored at Sumatra Kade, Amsterdam. Tugs towed the burning ship out into the IJ, where she burned for nine days. The ship was too badly damaged to repair, and on 6 December 1932 she was sold for scrap. While she was being towed to the scrapyard, she almost capsized. After this she ran aground and broke free from her tow, hitting the harbour wall at Pernis. Another fire broke out and she then sank. The ship was raised, and arrived at Hendrik Ido Ambacht for scrapping on 15 December 1932.
As built, Pieter Corneliszoon Hooft was 525 feet (160.02 m) long, with a beam of 68 feet 1 inch (20.75 m) and a depth of 35 feet (10.67 m). She was powered by two 8-cylinder diesel engines manufactured by Sulzer of Winterthur, Switzerland. These engines developed 8,000 horsepower (6,000 kW) and gave her a speed of 16 knots (30 km/h). Following her rebuilding by the Rotterdamsche Droogdok Maatschappij, she was 534 feet (162.76 m) long, and powered by two 9-cylinder 2-stroke Single Cycle Single Action diesel engines of 14,000 horsepower (10,000 kW), giving her a speed of 18 knots (33 km/h).
Pieter Corneliszoon Hooft had a crew of 300, with accommodation for 284 first class, 238 second class and 34 third class passengers. Her port of registry was Amsterdam and she used the Code Letters PQFV.
- "MS Pieter Corneliszoon Hooft" (in Dutch). Noordzeekanaal. http://noordzeekanaal.web-log.nl/noordzeekanaal/2006/12/ms_pieter_corne.html. Retrieved 9 November 2009.
- ""5606536"" (subscription required). Miramar Ship Index. R.B. Haworth. http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz. Retrieved 9 November 2009.
- Eastlake, Keith (1998). Sea Disasters, the truth behind the tragedies. London N7: Greenwich Editions. pp. p33. ISBN 0-86288-149-8.
- "PIETER CORNELISZOON HOOFT" (in Dutch). Vloot. http://amsterdamhaven.web-log.nl/amsterdamhaven/oudje_voor_u_gevonden/index.html. Retrieved 9 November 2009.
- "LLOYD'S REGISTER, STEAMERS & MOTORSHIPS". Plimsoll Ship Data. http://www.plimsollshipdata.org/pdffile.php?name=32b0715.pdf. Retrieved 9 November 2009.