1.92 m (6 ft 4 in)|
2.33 m (7 ft 8 in)
|Hull weight||56 kg (120 lb)|
|Mainsail area||137 sq ft (12.7 m2).|
|Spinnaker area||16 m2 (170 sq ft).|
The RS700 is a single-handed racing dinghy built by RS Racing, the dinghy has been praised as being one of the simplest and fastest single handed skiff's on the market. The RS700 was designed in 2000 by Nick Peters and Alex Southon as part of the RS series and built in 2001. It is a competitive racer, and is raced in many sailing clubs around Britain.
The RS700 is regarded by many professionals, including German Contender champion Christian Brandt, as the fastest and most user friendly skiff around, the magazine Yachts & Yachting has referred to it as being "simple but highly effective", the magazine also commented on the ease with which the spinnaker can be raised and lowered. The RS700 has a mainsail and a asymmetric spinnaker, but no jib. The width wings on the RS700 are adjustable, meaning that the boat can be sailed by different sized sailors. The boat has a single trapeze, from which the helm has access to the tiller extension and the main sheet.
Nick Peters, one of the designers has commented on the RS700 saying that, like all the previous dinghies in the RS series, it has a light hull and a huge sail area, but that it is conceptually very different to the RS600. Peters has also said that the RS700 can easily keep speed with the RS800.
- "RS700 Performance Dinghies & Skiffs". rssailing.com. http://www.rssailing.com/fleets.asp?fleet=RS700&selection=Details%20and%20Spec. Retrieved 2009-06-11.
- "RS 700". www.sailingnetworks.com. http://www.sailingnetworks.com/design/d-rs-700. Retrieved 2009-06-08.
- "Dinghy Classes". dinghyracing.co.uk. http://www.dinghyracing.co.uk/Classes.asp. Retrieved 2009-06-08.
- "RS Sailing Dinghies". cautionwater.com. http://www.cautionwater.com/dinghyclass.aspx?class=31. Retrieved 2009-06-08.
- "Living with the RS700". superspars.com. http://www.superspars.com/classdetail/RS700.html. Retrieved 2009-06-09.
- Boat details and specifications from rssailing.com
- RS700 statistics from rs-association.com
- Designer Nick Peters on the RS700
- Statistic's and insurance information from www.noblemarine.co.uk