Dornoch Shipping Co Ltd, (Lambert Bros)|
Honeyman & Co, Glasgow
|Builder:||Ayrshire Dockyard Co Ltd, Irvine|
Launched as Coulbeg|
Renamed Carsbreck in 1938
|Fate:||sunk on 24 October 1941|
|Class and type:||Steam merchant ship|
|Propulsion:||steam, triple expansion, single screw|
The SS Carsbreck was a British steam merchant ship. She was sunk while carrying supplies to the UK during the Second World War.
Early years and convoy SC-7
Carsbreck was built in the yards of Ayrshire Dockyard Co Ltd, Irvine, North Ayrshire, being completed in 1936 and launched as Coulbeg for Dornoch Shipping Co Ltd, (Lambert Bros). She then entered service with Honeyman & Co, of Glasgow, and by 1938 had been renamed Carsbreck and was homeported in Glasgow. She sailed in a number of convoys during the Second World War to carry supplies to and from Britain. She was part of convoy SC-7 in October 1940, carrying a cargo of timber. The convoy was overwhelmed by German U-boats successfully using wolf pack tactics, and Carsbreck was torpedoed at 02.04 hours on 18 October by U-38, under the command of Heinrich Liebe. She was badly damaged but was able to reach port, escorted by the Flower class corvette HMS Heartsease.
Convoy HG-75 and sinking
Carsbreck later formed part of convoy HG-75, sailing from Almería to Barrow-in-Furness. She carried a cargo of 6,000 tons of iron ore and was under the command of her master, John Dugald Muir. She was sighted at 06:36 hours on 24 October 1941 by Reinhard Suhren's U-564, which fired five torpedoes at the convoy. Suhren duly claimed five ships hit and sunk. In fact only three ships had been hit, but all were sunk. These were the Carsbreck, the Ariosto and the Alhama. 24 of the Carsbreck’s crew, 19 crew members and four gunners and the master, were lost. 16 crew members and two gunners survived to be picked up by the Free French ship Commandant Duboc. They were transferred to the fighter catapult ship Ariguani, but the Ariguani was torpedoed and damaged by U-83 two days later. The Ariguani was abandoned, but later re-boarded and towed to Gibraltar. The survivors from Carsbreck were picked up by HMS Campion, were transferred to HMS Vidette and were taken to Gibraltar.