The Hope was originally built as a US Navy hospital ship, USS Consolation (AH-15). The Consolation was donated to Project Hope in 1958, and served from 1960 until 1974, when she was retired. The SS HOPE was not replaced, and Project HOPE emphasis switched entirely to land-based operations.
Works about Hope
- William B. Walsh, M.D. (1964). A Ship called Hope. Dutton. OCLC 1374141.
- William B. Walsh, M.D. (1966). Yanqui, come back! The story of Hope in Peru. Dutton. OCLC 881451.
- William B. Walsh, M.D. (1970). Hope in the East: the mission to Ceylon. Dutton.
- William B. Walsh, M.D.; Meltzer, Richard S, Lucey, Dennis (1974). Medicine and the satellite: a description of the 1973 satellite experiments aboard the S.S. Hope. Project Hope.
- NBC Documentary film - Fred Rheinstein (director), Ralph Bellamy
|40px||This article about a specific civilian ship or boat is a stub. You can help Ship Spotting World by expanding it.|