USNS Phoenix (T-AG-172)
|Namesake:||A mythical bird of ancient Egypt which, after living some 500 years, consumes itself in fire, only to rise again rejuvenated from its ashes. Also, Phoenix, Arizona, the State of Arizona's largest city and capital|
|Builder:||Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation, Portland, Oregon|
|Laid down:||27 February 1945 as Capital Victory (MCV–183)|
|Launched:||10 April 1945|
|Sponsored by:||Mrs. Chester It. Kinmon|
|Completed:||8 May 1945|
|Acquired:||by the Navy on 25 November 1962|
|In service:||July 1963 with civil service crew|
|Out of service:||circa 1970|
|Renamed:||Arizona in 1948; Phoenix for Navy use on 20 November 1962|
|Reclassified:||AG–172 on 20 November 1962|
|Struck:||15 June 1973|
|Homeport:||Subic Bay, Philippines|
|Fate:||sold, 31 August 1973, fate unknown|
|Type:||Phoenix-class miscellaneous auxiliary|
|Tons burthen:||14,900 tons|
|Draft:||28' 1" (max.)|
|Propulsion:||steam turbine, single shaft, 8,500hp|
|Complement:||50 officers and enlisted|
USNS Phoenix (T-AG-172) was a Phoenix-class miscellaneous auxiliary acquired by the United States Navy in 1962, crewed by a civilian crew from the Military Sea Transportation Service, and sent to the Philippines to serve as a floating depot. Phoenix remained in the Philippines, issuing parts and other supplies, until the early 1970s, being struck by the Navy in 1973.
Victory ship built in Oregon
Phoenix was laid down under U.S. Maritime Commission contract as Capital Victory (MCV–183) 27 February 1945 by Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation, Portland, Oregon; launched 10 April 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Chester It. Kinmon and delivered 8 May 1945.
Renamed Arizona in 1948, the cargo ship was renamed Phoenix for Navy use 20 November 1962 and classified AG–172 the same day; acquired by the Navy from the Maritime Administration 25 November 1962; assigned to the Military Sea Transportation Service (M.S.T.S.) and manned by a civil service crew in July 1963.
A floating depot ship
The special project ship, with Cheyenne (T-AG–174) and Provo (T-AG–173) was stationed in Subic Bay, Philippines as forward floating depots. The utility of such depots was demonstrated in 1964 by the excellent performance of these ships in Operation Quick Release.
Phoenix was transferred to the U.S. Maritime Commission, and was sold 31 August 1973. Her subsequent fate is not known.
- This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive - T-AG-172 Phoenix