USS Atglen (ID-1315)
Barge Atglen, probably photographed at New York City at the time of her 1917 inspection by the 3rd Naval District, prior to her U.S. Navy service.
|Acquired:||16 November 1917|
|Fate:||Returned to owner 1919|
Atglen was laid down as a non-self-propelled commercial barge at South Roundout, New York, in 1900. The U.S. Navy' 3rd Naval District inspected her for possible World War I service in 1917, and the Navy acquired her on 16 November 1917, assigning her one of two reported naval registry identification numbers (either Id. No. 1315 or Id. No. 1350 She probably served in and near New York Harbor through the end of the war.
Atglen was returned to her owners sometime in 1919.
- Confusion exists regarding the barge's naval registry identification number. Per the U.S. Naval Historical Center Online Library of Selected Images (at http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-civil/civsh-a/atglen.htm), her number was 1315. NavSource Online agrees at the entry http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/171315.htm, but at the otherwise identical entry at http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/171350.htm lists the number as 1350, without further explanation for the double listing or the internal disagreement about the registry number.
- The U.S. Naval Historical Center Online Library of Selected Images (at http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-civil/civsh-a/atglen.htm) both specifies this date and expresses doubt that U.S. Navy acquisition of the barge ever actually occurred. NavSource Online (at http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/171315.htm and http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/171350.htm ), expresses no doubt that the acqusition occurred.
- Per the U.S. Naval Historical Center Online Library of Selected Images (at http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-civil/civsh-a/atglen.htm) and NavSource Online at http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/171315.htm.
- Per NavSource Online at http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/171350.
- Department of the Navy Naval Historical Center: Online Library of Selected Images: Civilian Ships: Atglen (American Barge, 1900). Probably saw U.S. Navy service (under registry ID # 1315) in 1917-1919
- NavSource Online: Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive Atglen (ID 1315)
- NavSource Online: Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive Atglen (ID 1350)