USS General D. E. Aultman (AP-156)
|Namesake:||Dwight Edward Aultman|
Kaiser Co., Inc.|
|Laid down:||date unknown|
|Launched:||18 February 1945|
|Acquired:||20 May 1945|
|Commissioned:||20 May 1945|
|Decommissioned:||15 March 1946|
after 15 March 1946 (Army)|
1 March 1950 (MSTS)
|Out of service:||
1 March 1950 (Army)|
4 June 1958 (MSTS)
|Renamed:||SS Portland, 1968|
|Reclassified:||T-AP-156, 1 March 1950|
|Fate:||scrapped after October 1986|
|Class and type:||General G. O. Squier-class transport ship|
|Displacement:||9,950 tons (light), 17,250 tons (full)|
|Length:||522 ft 10 in (159.36 m)|
|Beam:||71 ft 6 in (21.79 m)|
|Draft:||Template:General G. O. Squier class draft I|
|Propulsion:||single-screw steam turbine with 9,900 shp (7,400 kW)|
|Speed:||17 knots (31.5 km/h)|
|Complement:||356 (officers and enlisted)|
|Armament:||Template:General G. O. Squier class armament II|
USS General D. E. Aultman (AP-156) was a General G. O. Squier-class transport ship for the U.S. Navy in World War II. The ship was crewed by the U.S. Coast Guard throughout the war.. She was named in honor of U.S. Army general Dwight Edward Aultman. She was transferred to the U.S. Army as USAT General D. E. Aultman in 1946. On 1 March 1950 she was transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service (MSTS) as USNS General D. E. Aultman (T-AP-156). She was later sold for commercial operation under the name SS Portland, before being scrapped some time after October 1986.
General D. E. Aultman (AP-156) was launched 18 February 1945 under Maritime Commission contract (MC #713) by Kaiser Co., Inc., Yard 3, Richmond, California; sponsored by Mrs. Alma H. Aultman, widow of General Aultman; acquired by the Navy and commissioned 20 May 1945, Captain S. P. Swicegood, USCG, in command.
After shakedown out of San Diego, General D. E. Aultman got underway 30 June bound for France. She transited the Panama Canal and arrived Marseilles 24 July, embarking troops, nurses, and Red Cross workers for the Pacific theater. The transport sailed 26 July via the Panama Canal and found herself 1 day out of Balboa bound for New Guinea when the Japanese capitulated 15 August.
General D. E. Aultman arrived Humboldt Bay, New Guinea 4 September, and carried troops to Manila before returning to Portland 11 October 1945. She was then assigned to the "Magic-Carpet" fleet, contributing her important part to the gigantic task of returning the hundred of thousands of Pacific veterans. She made two "Magic-Carpet" voyages to the Far East before decommissioning at San Francisco 15 March 1946. She was returned to the Maritime Commission for transfer to the Army Transportation Service, serving in the Pacific.
Reacquired by the Navy 1 March 1950, General D. E. Aultman joined the MSTS with a civil service crew and resumed her support of American posts in the Pacific. After the outbreak of the Korean War in June 1950, the transport began the vital job of transporting troops to that strategic country. The veteran ship sailed to the western Pacific until she was returned to the Maritime Commission 4 June 1958. She entered the National Defense Reserve Fleet, Suisun Bay, California, where she remained until sold to Containership Chartering Service of Wilmington, Delaware for commercial use in 1967 or 1968. She was converted to an 11.389 ton container ship by Willamette Iron & Steel Co. and renamed Portland in 1968. She was sold, possibly for scrapping, in October 1986.
- "Ship Descriptions - G". The Ships List. http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/descriptions/ShipsG.html. Retrieved 2007-11-09.
- "Kaiser Company, Inc., Richmond No. 3 Yard, Richmond CA". Colton Company. http://www.coltoncompany.com/shipbldg/ussbldrs/wwii/merchantshipbuilders/permanentenumber3.htm. Retrieved 2007-11-09.
- Photo gallery of General D. E. Aultman at NavSource Naval History
- Airman Bob Stadille’s personal account of a journey to Okinawa on General D. E. Aultman (c. 1950)
- Captain Don Kincaid’s recollections of a journey to the Philippines on General D. E. Aultman at age 9 (c. 1955)