USS Investigator (AGR-9)
|Namesake:||One who makes an inquiry or examination|
|Ordered:||as type (Z-EC2-S-C5) hull, MCE hull 2336|
|Builder:||J. A. Jones Construction Co. Inc., Panama City, Florida|
|Laid down:||date unknown, as Liberty ship SS Charles A. Draper|
|Launched:||9 January 1945|
|Sponsored by:||Mrs. E. L. Cills|
|Acquired:||by the U.S. Navy, 2 July 1956|
|Commissioned:||16 January 1957 as USS Investigator (YAGR-9) at Charleston Naval Shipyard|
|Decommissioned:||29 March 1965|
|Reclassified:||AGR-9, 28 September 1958|
|Refit:||converted to a Radar Picket Ship at Charleston Naval Shipyard, Charleston, South Carolina|
|Struck:||1 April 1965|
|Homeport:||Davisville, Rhode Island|
|National Defense Service Medal|
|Fate:||sold to Pakistan 23 December 1971; scrapped in Spain 15 May 1971|
|Type:||Guardian-class radar picket ship|
|Tons burthen:||10,760 tons|
|Installed power:||two Electric Generators|
|Propulsion:||two 220 PSI boilers; one 3 cylinder triple-expansion reciprocating engine; one 4 blade, 18' 6" propeller; Shaft Horsepower 2,500|
|Capacity:||Fuel Oil, 443,646 gals; Diesel, 68,267 gals; Fresh Water, 15,082 gals; Ballast, 1,326,657 gals fresh water|
|Complement:||13 officers, 138 enlisted|
|Armament:||two 3"/50 guns|
USS Investigator (AGR-9/YAGR-9) was a Guardian-class radar picket ship acquired by the U.S. Navy in 1956 from the “mothballed” reserve fleet. She was reconfigured as a radar picket ship and assigned to radar picket duty in the North Atlantic Ocean as part of the Distant Early Warning Line.
Liberty ship built in Florida
Investigator (YAGR-9) was launched by J. A. Jones Co., Inc., Panama City, Florida, as Liberty Ship Charles A. Draper 9 January 1945; sponsored by Mrs. E. L. Cills; and delivered 24 January 1945 to Polarus Steamship Co., Inc.
World War II service
1957-1965 radar picket duty
After a brief period of service in 1947, she entered the Reserve Fleet at Mobile, Alabama, and was acquired by the Navy 2 July 1956. Renamed Investigator, she was converted to Navy use at Charleston Naval Shipyard and commissioned there 16 January 1957, Lt. Comdr. J. H. Mehus in command.
Equipped with the latest in air search and tracking systems, the ship conducted her shakedown training in the Caribbean and departed Guantanamo Bay for her new home port, Davisville, Rhode Island. Investigator began her operational pattern of three- to four-week cruises in the North Atlantic Ocean as the seaward extension of the Continental Air Defense Command's air early warning system. Operating with search aircraft, she could detect, track, and report aircraft at long ranges, and could control high speed U.S. interceptor aircraft and direct them to targets.
The ship was reclassified AGR-9 effective 28 September 1958. She continued radar picket station duties for the Continental Air Defense Command, detecting and tracking inbound airborne objects and controlling jet interceptor aircraft until decommissioned 29 March 1965.
Her name was struck from the Navy List 1 April 1965. She was transferred the same day to the U.S. Maritime Commission and entered the Maritime Hudson River Defense Reserve Fleet, New York, where she remained until sold for scrap in Spain, 15 May 1971.
- This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive - YAGR / AGR-9 Investigator