USS Kalamazoo (AOR-6)
USS Kalamazoo in underway replenishment with USS Saratoga.
|Builder:||General Dynamics Corporation, Quincy, Massachusetts|
|Laid down:||1 October 1970|
|Launched:||1 November 1972|
|Commissioned:||11 August 1973, as USS Kalamazoo (AOR-6)|
|Decommissioned:||16 August 1996|
|Struck:||29 October 1998|
|Joint Meritorious Unit Award|
|Fate:||Sold for scrap, 15 July 2008, for $1,465,726|
|Class and type:||Wichita-class replenishment oiler|
14,048 long tons (14,273 t) light|
39,790 long tons (40,429 t) full
|Length:||659 ft (201 m)|
|Beam:||96 ft (29 m)|
|Draft:||37 ft (11 m)|
|Propulsion:||3 × boilers, 2 × steam turbines, 2 × shafts, 32,000 shp (23,862 kW)|
|Speed:||20 knots (37 km/h; 23 mph)|
|Complement:||34 officers, 463 enlisted|
• 2 × Phalanx CIWS|
• 1 × Sea Sparrow missile system (NSSMS)
|Aircraft carried:||2 × CH-46 Sea Knight helicopters|
|Aviation facilities:||Helo Deck and berthing for 8 Airdet Personnel|
USS Kalamazoo (AOR-6) was a Wichita-class replenishment oiler commissioned by the U.S. Navy in 1973. She continued to support Navy requirements until 1996 when she was placed in the reserve fleet and later struck.
Built in Quincy Massachusetts
Kalamazoo was laid down on 1 October 1970 and launched on 1 November 1972 at the shipyard of the General Dynamics Corporation, Quincy, Massachusetts. On 11 August 1973 she was commissioned USS Kalamazoo (AOR-6) and placed into service for the fleet.
No data yet available.
On 16 August 1996 Kalamazoo was decommissioned and placed in reserve at the National Defense Reserve Fleet, James River, Lee Hall, Virginia. She was struck from the Navy list on 29 October 1998 and, on 15 July 2008, she was sold by the U.S. Maritime Administration to Esco Marine, Brownsville, Texas, for $1,465,726. Kalamazoo was towed out of James River Reserve Fleet on Tuesday September 30, 2008 en route to ESCO Brownsville.
Honors and awards
Qualified Kalamazoo personnel were authorized the following:
- Joint Meritorious Unit Award
- Navy Unit Commendation
- Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation
- Navy Battle "E" Ribbon (2)
- Navy Expeditionary Medal (1-Iran/Indian Ocean, 5-Lebanon)
- National Defense Service Medal
- Southwest Asia Service Medal
There is currently no journal entry on this vessel at DANFS.
- Photo gallery of Kalamazoo at NavSource Naval History
- Wildenberg, Thomas (1996). Gray Steel and Black Oil: Fast Tankers and Replenishment at Sea in the U.S. Navy, 1912-1995. Annapolis, Maryland: Naval Institute Press. http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/GSBO/index.html. Retrieved 2009-04-28.
|40x40px||This article about a specific ship or boat of the United States military is a stub. You can help Ship Spotting World by expanding it.|