USS Osprey (AM-29)
As USC&GS Pioneer
|Builder:||Gas Engine & Power Co. and Charles L. Seabury, Morris Heights, New York|
|Laid down:||14 November 1917|
|Launched:||14 November 1918|
|Commissioned:||7 January 1919, as Minesweeper No.29|
|Decommissioned:||12 December 1920|
|Reclassified:||AM-29, 17 July 1920|
|Fate:||Transferred to US Coast and Geodetic Survey, 1922|
|Acquired:||7 April 1922|
|Fate:||Returned to the U.S. Navy, 1941|
|Recommissioned:||17 September 1941, as ARS-2|
|Decommissioned:||13 February 1947|
|Fate:||Transferred to the Maritime Commission, 13 February 1947|
|Class and type:||Lapwing-class minesweeper|
|Displacement:||950 long tons (965 t)|
|Length:||187 ft 10 in (57.25 m)|
|Beam:||35 ft 6 in (10.82 m)|
|Draft:||9 ft 9 in (2.97 m)|
|Speed:||14 knots (26 km/h; 16 mph)|
• 2 × 3 in (76 mm) guns|
• 2 × machine guns
USS Osprey (AM-29) was an Lapwing-class minesweeper commissioned by the United States Navy for service in World War I. She was responsible for removing mines from harbors, and, in her role as rescue and salvage ship, she was responsible for coming to the aid of stricken vessels.
Osprey was laid down 14 November 1917 by Gas Engine & Power Co. and Charles L. Seabury, Morris Heights, New York; launched 14 November 1918; sponsored by Mrs. J. J. Amory, and commissioned 7 January 1919, Lt. Murray Wolffe in command.
After fitting out at New York, Osprey departed Boston, Massachusetts with five other ships on 6 April 1919 for Inverness, Scotland, arriving the 20th to join the North Sea Minesweeping Force. Basing operations at Kirkwall, Orkney Islands, she aided in taking up the North Sea Mine Barrage during the summer, departing Kirkwall on 1 October for Davenport[disambiguation needed]. Osprey departed Brest for Lisbon the 15th, with sub-chaser #110 in tow. She departed Lisbon the 24th for home, arriving Staten Island, New York, 17 November. On 4 December, she proceeded to Portsmouth, New Hampshire, where she remained in ordinary until decommissioning 12 December 1920.
United States Coast and Geodetic Survey service
Osprey then steamed to Boston and was transferred to the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey on 7 April 1922, at which time she was renamed USS Pioneer.
Operating with the U.S. Commerce Department as Pioneer, the ship was returned to the U.S. Navy and commissioned on 17 September 1941 as USS Crusader (ARS-2). The salvage ship operated in the 15th Naval District, headquartered at Balboa, Panama Canal Zone, throughout World War II.
After decommissioning, she was transferred to the Maritime Commission on 13 February 1947.