Vista class cruise ship
MS Noordam, a Vista class cruise ship, at Grand Turk Island, March 2007
|Builders:||Fincantieri Marghera shipyard, Italy|
|Operators:||Holland America Line, P&O Cruises, Cunard Line, Costa Cruises|
|Planned:||11 ships(including derived designs)|
All except MS Noordam: 951 ft (290 m)|
MS Noordam: 935 ft (285 m)
|Beam:||105 ft 9 in (32.23 m)|
|Decks:||11 passenger decks|
24-knot (44 km/h) maximum|
(service at 22 knots)
varies by configuration|
1848-1952 (2 berths/cabin)
The Vista class is a class of Panamax-type cruise ships, built by Fincantieri Marghera shipyard, in Italy. Vista class cruise ships are operated by Holland America Line, P&O Cruises, Cunard Line and Costa Cruises. The ships are equipped with a diesel-electric power plant and an Azipod propulsion system. The ships are designed so that eighty-five percent of the staterooms have ocean views and sixty-seven percent have verandas; the extensive use of glass in the superstructure of Vista class ships is also reflected in the class name.
The Signature class ships operated by Holland America Line are based on the Vista class.
The Vista class design was originally created for Holland America Line, using the Panamax guidelines to determine their designed size. A fifth hull which was originally intended for Holland America was transferred to Cunard Line in 2003 where it was planned to become the MS Queen Victoria. However, due to restructuring within their parent corporation Carnival Corporation & plc, as well as a later decision by Cunard that modifications should be made to introduce successful elements from the design of the RMS Queen Mary 2, the hull was again transferred to become P&O Cruises' MS Arcadia.
Enlarged Vista class
The Vista class design has been used in two derivative designs. After the transfer of the original hull to P&O Cruises, Cunard Line ordered a new MS Queen Victoria with Fincantieri in 2004. This modified design extended the hull to 964 ft 6 in (293.98 m) and added an additional deck, as well as redesigning the layout of cabins and all public areas of the ship. In order to meet the requirements of regular trans-Atlantic crossings, she has also had key parts of her decks, bulkheads, and hull reinforced. The MS Queen Elizabeth is under construction based on this same design, and is expected to enter service in 2010.
The second derivative design is Holland America Line's Signature class cruise ship, the MS Eurodam. While the same length as the MS Noordam, she has one more deck than the standard Vista class design, and her public areas and cabin placement have been significantly redesigned, especially on her upper-most decks. Holland America has taken the option to build a second ship based on this same design, MS Nieuw Amsterdam, expected to enter service in 2010.
Hybrid Vista/Spirit class
In May 2009 Costa Cruises took delivery of Costa Luminosa, the first ship in a class described as a hybrid design "taking the best parts from Aker Yards' [sic] built Costa Atlantica and Costa Mediterranea, and from Holland America’s Vista class ships." A second ship of the same design, Costa Deliziosa, entered service with Costa Cruises in February 2010.
Ships by delivery date
- 2002: MS Zuiderdam
- 2003: MS Oosterdam
- 2004: MS Westerdam
- 2005: MS Arcadia
- 2006: MS Noordam
- 2007: MS Queen Victoria
- 2008: MS Eurodam
- 2009: MS Costa Luminosa
- 2010: MS Queen Elizabeth, MS Nieuw Amsterdam, MS Costa Deliziosa
Similar ship classes
- Spirit class - Panamax ships operated by Carnival Cruise Lines and Costa Cruises.
- Radiance class - Panamax ships operated by Royal Caribbean International
- Coral Princess and Island Princess - Panamax ships operated by Princess Cruises
- (Swedish) Micke Asklander. "M/S Arcadia (2005)". Fakta om Fartyg. http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/arcadia_2005.htm. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "Queen Victoria Technical Information". Cunard Line. http://www.cunard.com/queenvictoria/QueenVictoriaTechnical.pdf. Retrieved 2008-04-25.
- "Cunard to Build "Queen Elizabeth"". Cunard Line. 2007-10-10. http://www.cunard.com/AboutCunard/NewsReleases.asp?Cat=&View=ViewArticle&Mode=News&ContentID=6786&Active=News. Retrieved 2008-04-25.
- "ms Eurodam". Holland America Line. http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/ExploreShip.action?shipCode=D. Retrieved 2008-04-25.
- "Cruise Ship 6181". Fincantieri. http://www.fincantieri.it/CMS/Data/prodotti/000284.aspx?cms640909ff=08f4adf2a8b1413e911793a9ffcc5a20&menu_key=64dc64b6&CMSKEY_categoria=CRUISE&CMSKEY_tipo=&CMSKEY_armatore=SG9sbGFuZCBBbWVyaWNhIExpbmU=&CMSKEY_anno=&CMSKEY_sottotitolo=. Retrieved 2008-04-25.
- "Luminosa joins Costa fleet". Cruise Business Review. 2009-05-15. http://cruisebusiness.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=411:luminosa-joins-costa-fleet&catid=52:gallery&Itemid=28. Retrieved 2009-05-16.
| Vista class cruise ships]]