CSS Resolute

From SpottingWorld, the Hub for the SpottingWorld network...
Career Confederate Navy Jack
Name: CSS Resolute
Launched: 1858
Commissioned: 1861
Decommissioned: December 12, 1864
Fate: ran aground and captured
General characteristics
Displacement: 322 tons
Propulsion: steam engine
Complement: 35 officers and men
Armament: none

CSS Resolute was a tugboat built in 1858 at Savannah, Georgia, that served in the Confederate States Navy during the American Civil War.

Resolute entered Confederate service in 1861 and operated as a tow boat, transport, receiving ship, and tender to the sidewheeler CSS Savannah on the coastal and inland waters of Georgia and South Carolina.

On 5 -6 November 1861, Resolute, under Lieutenant John Pembroke Jones, CSN, in company with CSS Lady Davis, CSS Sampson and Savannah, under the overall command of Flag Officer Josiah Tattnall, CSN, offered harassing resistance to a much larger Union fleet preparing to attack Confederate strongholds at Port Royal Sound, S.C.

During November 7, while Resolute had been sent to Savannah with dispatches, the Union fleet under Flag Officer Samuel Francis du Pont, USN, pounded the Confederate Fort Walker and Fort Beauregard until they were abandoned. Upon her return, Resolute helped evacuate the garrison of Fort Walker and then returned to spike the Confederate guns at Pope's Landing on Hilton Head Island.

Later that month, on November 26, Resolute, in company with Sampson and Savannah, under Flag Officer Tattnall, weighed anchor from under the guns of Fort Pulaski, S.C., and made a brief attack on Union vessels at the mouth of the Savannah River. On January 28, 1862, accompanied by Sampson and Savannah, she delivered supplies to the fort despite the spirited opposition of Federal ships.

While on an expedition to destroy the Charleston and Savannah Railway bridge spanning the Savannah River, in cooperation with gunboats CSS Macon and Sampson, under Flag Officer William W. Hunter, CSN, on December 12, 1864, Resolute received heavy fire from a Union field battery. Although hit twice, she was not seriously damaged until she was disabled in collision with the two gunboats during their retreat. Although the gunboats escaped, Resolute grounded on Argyle Island on the Savannah River. She was captured on the same day by Union soldiers under Colonel W. Hawly, USA, in the army of General William T. Sherman, and taken into Federal service.


This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.