From SpottingWorld, the Hub for the SpottingWorld network...
The two-masted pygmy trading schooner Equator inspired passengers Robert Louis Stevenson and Lloyd Osbourne in 1889 to write The Wrecker. Originally built in San Francisco in 1888 as a copra trader, it was converted to steam in 1902 and eventually abandoned in the harbor at Everett, Washington in 1953. The vessel was Everett’s first artifact placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. The remains of the hull are protected by a shed near the Port of Everett’s Marina Park. Several attempts to rebuild the ship have failed, and restoration is considered unlikely. Photographs of Stevenson's part aboard exist. Built in Benecia, California she is the last surviving hull of that time period known to exist. In her career she works under sail, steam and gas/diesel power. She worked copra, fish, tug and support for the Geodetic Survey. Because of her shoal draft she could get close on shore where other vessels couldn't go. Several attempts at restoration have been unsuccessful.