HMS Amphitrite (1898)

From SpottingWorld, the Hub for the SpottingWorld network...
HMS Amphitrite in dazzle camouflage, in 1918 after conversion to minelayer.
Career Royal Navy Ensign
Name: HMS Amphitrite
Builder: Vickers Limited, Barrow in Furness
Launched: 5 January 1898
Reclassified: Minelayer in 1917
Fate: Sold 12 April 1920
General characteristics
Displacement: 11,000 tons
Length: 435 ft (133 m) (462 ft 6 in (140.97 m) o/a)
Beam: 69 ft (21 m)
Draught: 25 ft 6 in (7.77 m)
Propulsion: 2 shaft triple expansion engines
16.500 - 18,000 hp
Speed: 20 - 20.5 knots
Complement: 760

16 x single QF 6-inch (152.4 mm) guns
14 x single QF 12-pounder guns
3 x single QF 3-pounder guns
2 x 18-inch torpedo tubes
as Minelayer:
4 x 6-inch guns
1 x 12-pounder gun

354 mines
Armour: 6 inch casemates
4.5-2 inch decks

HMS Amphitrite was a ship of the Diadem-class of protected cruisers in the Royal Navy. She was built at Vickers Limited, Barrow in Furness and launched on 5 January 1898. She served in the First World War with her sisters. In 1914 she was part of the Ninth Cruiser Squadron, serving in the Atlantic. In June 1915 she was placed in reserve, but reactivated as a minelayer in 1917. She collided with the destroyer HMS Nessus in the North Sea on 8 September 1918, which sunk the Nessus. She was later assigned to the Nore Command, and survived the War to be sold to Ward of Milford Haven for breaking up on 12 April 1920.

Amphitrite had the nickname 'am and tripe'[1] amongst her crew based on a humorous malapropism, and a reference to common foodstuffs such as might be served on board.