HMS Jumna (1866)
HMS Jumna about 1885
|Builder:||Palmers Shipbuilding and Iron Company, Hebburn|
|Launched:||24 September 1866|
Became coal hulk C110 in 1893|
Sold as hulk Oceanic in July 1922
|Class and type:||Euphrates-class troopship|
|Displacement:||6,211 tons, 4,173 tons BM|
|Length:||360 ft (109.7 m) (overall)|
|Beam:||49 ft 1.5 in (15.0 m)|
|Depth of hold:||22 ft 4 in (6.81 m)|
As built: 4,894 ihp (3,649 kW)|
From 1873: 3,044 ihp (2,270 kW)
|Speed:||15 kn (28 km/h)|
|Armament:||Three 4-pounder guns|
Jumna was one of five iron-hulled vessels of the Euphrates class. All five were built to a design of 360ft overall length by about 49ft breadth, although Malabar was very slightly smaller than the rest of the class. They had a single screw, a speed of 14 knots, one funnel, a barque-rig sail plan, three 4-pounder guns, and a white painted hull. Her bow was a "ram bow" which projected forward below the waterline.
In 1873 her Maudslay, Sons and Field 3-cylinder single-expansion steam engine was modified at Portsmouth by the replacement of one low pressure cylinder with a smaller, high pressure one, giving her a more efficient compound-expansion engine, albeit with less power and a new top speed of 13 knots (24 km/h).
|12 November 1866||Captain Benjamin Spencer Pickard|
|6 June 1870||Captain Frederick William Richards|
|1874||September 1875||Captain Hawksworth Fawkes (invalided)|
|4 October 1875||17 October 1877||Captain John D'Arcy|
|17 October 1877||Captain George Parsons|
- Winfield, Rif; Lyon, David (2003). The Sail and Steam Navy List, 1815-1889. Chatham Publishing. ISBN 978-1861760326.
- Sir Edward Reed, "The British Navy", Harper's Monthly Magazine (European edition), February 1886
- Colledge. Ships of the Royal Navy. p. 83.
- "HMS Jumna at William Loney RN website". http://www.pdavis.nl/ShowShip.php?id=1650. Retrieved 2009-06-23.
- Colledge, J. J.; Warlow, Ben (2006) . Ships of the Royal Navy: the complete record of all fighting ships of the Royal Navy (Rev. ed.). London: Chatham. ISBN 9781861762818. OCLC 67375475.