HMS Kent (1652)

From SpottingWorld, the Hub for the SpottingWorld network...
Career (England) Royal Navy Ensign
Name: Kentish
Builder: Johnson, Deptford
Launched: 1652
Renamed: HMS Kent, 1660
Fate: Wrecked, October 1672
General characteristics [1]
Class and type: Fourth rate frigate
Tons burthen: 601 long tons (610.6 t)
Length: 104 ft (31.7 m) (keel)
Beam: 32 ft 6 in (9.9 m)
Depth of hold: 13 ft 6 in (4.1 m)
Propulsion: Sails
Sail plan: Full rigged ship
Armament: 40 guns of various weights of shot

The Kentish was a 40-gun Fourth rate frigate of the English Royal Navy, originally built for the navy of the Commonwealth of England at Deptford and launched in 1652.[1]

Her most famous action was when she attacked a squadron of Tunisian warships lying in Porto Farina, on the Barbary Coast. She defeated both the ships and the on-shore fort to win her third battle honour.

After the Restoration of the monarchy in 1660, her name was changed to HMS Kent.[2] She served in the Second Dutch War with distinction and was involved in the Battle of Lowestoft, which remains the most crushing naval defeat in Dutch history, and the St. James's Day Battle, a two-day long fight which ended in a closer English victory. She was wrecked in October 1672 off Cromer.[1]