HMS Pactolus (1896)
|Laid down:||May 1896|
|Launched:||21 December 1896|
|Fate:||sold for scrap 25 October 1921|
|Class and type:||Pelorus-class protected cruiser|
|Length:||313 ft 6 in (95.6 m) (overall)|
|Beam:||36 ft 6 in (11.1 m)|
|Draught:||16 ft 0 in (4.9 m)|
|Propulsion:||2-shaft reciprocating triple-expansion engines, Blechynden boilers, 5000hp|
20.7 knots (38.3 km/h) (trials) |
18.5 knots (34.3 km/h) knots (service)
|Armament:||8x1 4in (102mm)/40 QF 25-pounder, 8x1 1.585in (57mm)/40 QF 3-pounder, 2x1 18in (457mm) torpedo tubes|
0.25in (gun shields)|
HMS Pactolus was a Pelorus class cruiser of the Royal Navy. There were eleven ""Third class"" protected cruisers in the class, which was designed by Sir William White. While well armed for their size, they were primarily workhorses for the overseas fleet on “police” duties and did not serve with the main battlefleet.
They displaced 2,135 tons, had a crew complement of 224 men and were armed with eight QF 4 inch (102 mm) (25 pounder) guns, eight 3 pounder guns, three machine guns, and two 18 inch (457 mm) torpedo tubes. With reciprocating triple expansion engines and a variety of boilers, the top speed was 20 knots (37 km/h).
HMS Pactolus was laid down at Armstrong, Elswick on May 1896, launched 21 December 1896, but not completed until 1899; and was sold for scrap on 25 October 1921. HMS Pactolus and HMS Pomone had Blechynden boilers which were particularly unreliable, and they were removed from active service several years before others in the class.
|40px||This article about a specific naval ship or boat of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Ship Spotting World by expanding it.|