MS Oldenburg at Bideford, Devon, March 2006
|Route:||Lundy, Bideford and Ilfracombe|
|Builder:||Detlef Hegemann Rolandwerft|
|Launched:||29 March 1958|
|Acquired:||6 August 1958|
|Status:||in active service, as of 2022[update]|
|Displacement:||294 long tons (299 t)|
|Length:||43.46 m (142 ft 7 in)|
|Beam:||7.83 m (25 ft 8 in)|
|Draught:||1.65 m (5 ft 5 in)|
2 × 8-cylinder MAN engines (1958)|
2 × Cummins Diesel engines (1985)
11.5 knots (21.3 km/h; 13.2 mph) (1958)|
12.5 knots (23.2 km/h; 14.4 mph) (1985)
The Oldenburg was named after the former grand duchy of Oldenburg, Germany, and launched on the 29 March 1958 in Bremen. On the 6 August she was delivered to Deutsche Bundesbahn Schiffsdienst Wangerooge, used as a ferry service between the mainland and the Frisian island of Wangerooge.
She was first chartered by and then sold to Reederei Warrings in 1975 for duty-free shopping cruises around East Frisia. In 1982 she was sold to Harle-Reederei Warrings in Carolinensiel, Lower Saxony, Germany.
In November 1985 she was sold to the Lundy Co. Ltd. to replace Lundy's transport boat, the Polar Bear. After a refurbishment at Appledore Shipyard and receiving new engines in 1986, she began her journeys for passengers and supplies to the island of Lundy.
Oldenburg in Bideford Harbour
- Bild 062.jpg
Oldenburg at Lundy Island
- Bild 039.jpg
Oldenburg moored at Bideford
- Bild 057.jpg
- "M/S OLDENBURG (1958)". www.faktaomfartyg.se. http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/oldenburg_1958.htm. Retrieved 2009-10-05.
- "Lundy supply vessel MS Oldenburg celebrates its 50th birthday". www.thisisnorthdevon.co.uk. http://www.thisisnorthdevon.co.uk/anniversaries/Lundy-supply-vessel-MS-Oldenburg-celebrates-50th-birthday/article-253428-detail/article.html. Retrieved 2009-10-05.
| IMO 5262146]]
- Lundy Island site
- Pictures from the Oldenburg
- Dates on faktacomfartyg (Swedish)
- Oldenburg in NWZ-Online (German)
- Oldenburg on Lundy Island
- History of the Oldenburg (German)
- Picures on Flickr