From SpottingWorld, the Hub for the SpottingWorld network...
For other uses, see Ripon (disambiguation).
|This article is an orphan, as few or no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from related articles; suggestions are available. (February 2009)|
|Namesake:||The City of Ripon, UK|
P&O (1846-1870) |
Caird & Co (1870)
|Route:||Mediterranean Sea to the UK|
|Builder:||Money Wigram and Sons, Blackwall|
|Length:||217 feet (66 m)|
|Beam:||33 feet (10 m)|
The PS Ripon was a paddlesteamer built at Money Wigram's Blackwall Yard in 1846 for P&O. The Ripon brought the first hippopotamus to the United Kingdom in 1850, and in 1854 was requisitioned for use in the Crimean War. In 1864 she brought Italian General Giuseppe Garibaldi to the United Kingdom for a meeting with Prime Minister Henry Palmerston. In 1870, the engines of the Ripon were sold, and the vessel was converted into a brig for Caird & Co in Greenock.
|This article does not cite any references or sources.
Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (September 2008)
- ↑ PortCities London The Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company's ships, Indus and Ripon.
- Pages using duplicate arguments in template calls
- Orphaned articles from February 2009
- Articles with invalid date parameter in template
- All orphaned articles
- Ship infoboxes without an image
- Articles lacking sources from September 2008
- All articles lacking sources
- Paddle steamers of the United Kingdom
- Blackwall Yard-built ships
- 1846 ships