Prince of Wales (ship)
The Prince of Wales was a First Fleet transport ship of 350 tons, built on the River Thames in 1786. She was 31.4 meters in length. She was built by the firm Christopher Watson and co. of Rotherhithe, who are also thought to have built HMS Sirius in 1786. She left Portsmouth on 13 May 1787, carrying one male and forty-nine female convicts, and arrived at Port Jackson, Sydney, Australia, on 26 January 1788. She left Port Jackson on 14 August 1788, and arrived back in London, via Rio de Janeiro, on 30 April 1789. The master was John Mason, who died of scurvy on the return voyage. The Prince of Wales was used in England until 1797 and then its registration was signed over to Fort Royal at Martinique. The ship was skippered by Master John Mason. The lieutenants on there were Lieut. Davy and Lieut. Timmins.
- ↑ Henderson G, Stanbury M (1988). The Sirius:Past and Present. Sydney: Collins. p. 40. ISBN 0-7322-2447-0.
- Gillen, Mollie, The Founders of Australia: A Biographical Dictionary of the First Fleet, Sydney, Library of Australian History, 1989.
- Bateson, Charles, The Convict Ships, 1787–1868, Sydney, 1974
HMS Prince of Wales, for ships of the Royal Navy that bore the same name.
|40px||This article about a specific civilian ship or boat is a stub. You can help Ship Spotting World by expanding it.|