RFA Surf Patrol (A357)
From SpottingWorld, the Hub for the SpottingWorld network...
|Name:||RFA Surf Patrol|
|Launched:||7 February 1951|
|Acquired:||14 July 1951|
|Commissioned:||17 July 1951|
|Decommissioned:||11 May 1961|
|Out of service:||
Sold commercially in December 1969|
|Fate:||Arrived at Split for scrapping on 21 July 1980|
|Class and type:||Surf class tanker|
|Displacement:||15,800 tonnes full load|
|Length:||469 feet 6 inches (143.10 m)|
|Beam:||60 feet 6 inches (18.44 m)|
|Draught:||27 feet 7.75 inches (8.43 m)|
|Propulsion:||1 x 4 cyl Doxford diesel. 4400 bhp. Single shaft.|
|Speed:||12.5 knots (23.2 km/h)|
RFA Surf Patrol (A357) was a Surf-class freighting tanker of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary. She and her sister RFA Surf Pioneer were originally ordered by Polish owners but were commandeered by the Admiralty whilst under construction during the Korean War. Surf Patrol was at the time being built as the Tatry for the Polish Government.
Surf Patrol was decommissioned on 11 May 1961 and laid up at Devonport. She was sold back into commercial service in December 1969 and was renamed Marisurf for D.J. Chandris.
|This article about a specific naval auxiliary ship or boat of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Ship Spotting World by expanding it.|