|Builder:||Kaiserliche Werft, Danzig|
|Laid down:||January 1896|
|Launched:||27 April 1897|
|Completed:||28 October 1898|
|Fate:||Scrapped in 1921|
|Class and type:||Victoria Louise class protected cruiser|
6,491t full load
|Length:||363.16 ft (110.69 m)|
|Beam:||57.16 ft (17.42 m)|
|Draught:||22.66 ft (6.91 m)|
|Propulsion:||10,000 hp, three shafts|
|Speed:||19.5 knots (36 km/h)|
Two 9.4 in (24 cm) (2 × 1) |
eight5.9 in (15 cm) (8 × 1)
ten3.45 in (8.8 cm) (10 × 1)
three17.7 in (45 cm) torpedo tubes
|Armor:||4 in (10 cm) in deck|
Seiner Majestät Schiff Freya was a protected cruiser of the Victoria Louise class, built for the Kaiserliche Marine before the turn of the 20th Century. Freya was built at the Imperial Dockyard in Danzig. She was laid down in January 1896, and completed in October 1900 at a cost of 11,094,000 Marks.
Dimensions and machinery
Freya was 358 feet 3 inches (109.19 m) long at the waterline, and had an overall length of 363 feet 2 inches (110.69 m) She had a beam of 57 feet 2 inches (17.42 m) and a draught of 22 feet 9 inches (6.93 m) Freya displaced 5,660 tons on a standard load, and 6,491 tons fully loaded. The ship was powered by three shaft triple expansion engines, that produced 10,000 ihp (7,500 kW) and delivered a top speed of 19.5 knots (36.1 km/h).
Between 1905 and 1911, the ships of the Victoria Louise class were modernized. The ships had their boilers replaced, and had their original three funnels reduced to two stacks.
Armor and armament
Freya was protected by 4-inch (100 mm) thick armor plating on the decks. The ship was armed with a wide mix of armaments. The main armament consisted of two 8.2-inch (208 mm) guns mounted in single turrets fore and aft. The secondary armament comprised eight 5.9-inch (150 mm) guns in casemates along the length of the ship, along with ten 3.4-inch (86 mm) guns, also casemated. The ships were also armed with three 17.7-inch (450 mm) torpedo tubes.
At the start of World War I, Freya was assigned to coastal defense duties. By November 1914, however, she was removed from front line service and turned into a barracks ship. In April 1915, she became a training ship, and served in this capacity until the end of the war. In 1921, Freya was sold for scrap.