From SpottingWorld, the Hub for the SpottingWorld network...
The SS City of Paris was a steam passenger ship built in 1922. She was requisitioned for service by the British government during the Second World War.
The SS City of Paris was built in 1922 by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson, at their yards in Wallsend, Tyne and Wear, for Ellerman Lines Ltd, of London. She was homeported in London.
On 16 September 1939, whilst carrying 139 people, she struck a mine that had been laid by U-13 on 4 September. She was damaged, with one person being killed, but managed to make it to port for repairs. She was requisitioned shortly afterwards and from 1940 she was used as a troopship. She was then converted into a personnel ship in 1944, and used as an accommodation ship from September 1945 until 1946. She was then briefly used again as a troopship before being returned to the Ellerman Lines. She was returned to commercial service in 1947 and scrapped in 1956.
nl:SS City of Paris