Shady Side (steamboat)
|Sidewheeler Shady Side|
Shady Side, watercolor on paper by James Bard.
|Route:||New York Harbor|
|Out of service:||1922|
|Type:||inland boat passenger/freighter, wooden hull|
|Installed power:||vertical beam steam engine|
Shady Side was a steamboat that operated in New York Harbor and nearby areas starting in 1873.
Originally this vessel was owned by the Morrisiana Steamboat Company, and ran passengers to upper Manhattan and the Bronx by way of the East River. Later the vessel was used on routes to Stamford, Connecticut and Fort Lee, New Jersey, with stops at Shady-Side, Gutenburg, and Tilly Toodlum. Later the vessel came into the ownership of Marcus Garvey, running under the Black Star Line. Shady Side was abandoned in 1922.
- Mariner's Museum, Bard Brothers, at 142 and 170.
- Mariner's Museum and Peluso, Anthony J., Jr., The Bard Brothers -- Painting America under Steam and Sail, Abrams, New York 1997 ISBN 0-8109-1240-6