USS Acoma (YTB-701)
|Namesake:||An Indian tribe of the Keresan family native to Valencia County, New Mexico|
|Builder:||Bethlehem Steel Company, San Pedro, California|
|Laid down:||2 July 1945|
|Launched:||30 August 1945|
|Acquired:||by the Navy on 12 March 1946|
|Reclassified:||YTM-701, February 1962|
|Fate:||Transferred to unspecified Government agency; fate unknown|
|Type:||Hisada-class district harbor tug, large|
|Length:||100 feet (30 m)|
|Beam:||25 feet (7.6 m)|
|Draft:||9 feet 7 inches (2.92 m)|
|Propulsion:||diesel engine, single screw|
|Speed:||12 knots (22 km/h)|
USS Acoma (YTB-701/YTM-701) was a Hisada-class district harbor tug built during the end of World War II. She was placed into reserve until 1962, when she was released to the 1st Naval District, where she served as a tugboat for the next 40 years before being disposed of, as excess to Navy needs.
Built in California
Acoma (YTB-701) was laid down on 2 July 1945 at San Pedro, California, by the Bethlehem Steel Company; launched on 30 August 1945, delivered to the Navy on 12 March 1946; and placed in the San Diego, California, Group of the Pacific Reserve Fleet.
Post-World War II service
However, the tug was activated in August 1946 for duty in the 1st Naval District. That assignment has kept her busy since then. In February 1962, Acoma was reclassified a medium harbor tug and was redesignated YTM-701.
She concluded almost 40 years of service in December 1985 when she was placed out of service. Her name was struck from the Navy list at the same time, and she was subsequently transferred to some unspecified other agency.
- This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.