USS Alloway (YT-170)
|Ordered:||as Russell No. 12|
|Acquired:||28 October 1940|
|Commissioned:||7 November 1940|
|Decommissioned:||19 August 1946|
|Struck:||10 June 1947|
|Length:||71 ft (22 m)|
|Beam:||19 ft (5.8 m)|
|Draught:||10 ft 6 in (3.20 m)|
USS Alloway (YT-170/YTM-170) was an Alloway-class tugboat acquired by the U.S. Navy for the task of providing yard tugboat services during World War II, when U.S. ports were often congested with ships arriving and departing.
The second Alloway (YT-170) -- a diesel-powered tug built in 1935 as Russell No. 12 - was acquired by the Navy on 28 October 1940 at New York City from the Newton Creek Towing Co.; renamed Alloway the following day and simultaneously designated YT-170; converted to naval service by the New York Navy Yard; and placed in service at New York City on 7 November 1940.
World War II service
During her tour of duty, Alloway was reclassified a medium harbor tug and redesignated YTM-170 on 15 May 1944.
Alloway was placed out of service at Little Creek, Virginia, on 19 August 1946. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 10 June 1947, and she was turned over to the Maritime Commission's War Shipping Administration for disposal.