USS Antietam (1864)
|Builder:||Philadelphia Navy Yard|
|Out of service:||1888|
|Homeport:||League Island, Pennsylvania|
|Fate:||sold, 8 September 1888|
|Length:||312' 6" (between perpendiculars)|
|Propulsion:||sail and steam engine|
USS Antietam (1864) was constructed during the final years of the American Civil War but was not launched because the war was winding down in the Union’s favor. She was eventually placed into service and used as a storeship and as a barracks ship until she was disposed of in 1888.
Laid down during the Civil War
The first U.S. Navy ship to be so named, Antietam was a screw sloop of war laid down in 1864 at the Philadelphia Navy Yard but was not finished by the end of the American Civil War. Instead, she remained on the stocks, about two-thirds completed until 1869.
Conversion to storeship
On 8 September 1888, Antietam was sold to Mr. C. H. Gregory of Thomaston, New York.
The photo at right shows Midshipmen from the U.S. Naval Academy Class of 1905 receiving instruction in sail rig Antietam, circa 1904. The officer may be Lt. Comdr. H. A. Bispham, heading from the Seamanship Department's model of the department.