USS Araner (IX-226)
|Ordered:||as SS Juan de Fuca|
|Builder:||Kaiser Shipbuilding Company|
|Laid down:||15 November 1942|
|Launched:||27 December 1942|
|Acquired:||23 September 1945|
|In service:||23 September 1945|
|Out of service:||22 August 1946|
|Struck:||29 October 1948|
|Fate:||Sold for scrap 3 March 1948|
|Length:||422 ft 8 in (128.83 m)|
|Beam:||57 ft (17 m)|
|Draft:||27 ft 8 in (8.43 m)|
The USS Araner (IX-226) was laid down as the liberty ship SS Juan de Fuca under a Maritime Commission contract (MCE hull 1747) on 15 November 1942 at Vancouver, Washington, by the Kaiser Shipbuilding Company and launched on 27 December 1942. She was delivered to the War Shipping Administration (WSA) on 11 January 1943.
Throughout World War II, she served as a cargo carrier operated under a WSA contract by the Weyerhauser Steamship Company. She was taken over by the Navy on bareboat charter on 23 September 1945 and renamed Araner (IX-226) and placed in service that same day with Lieutenant Henry Morath in charge.
Araner appears to have contributed very little service to the United States Navy. She was inspected by an inspection and survey board at Leyte during October, the month following the beginning of her naval service. In January 1946, probably as a result of that inspection, she received orders to be towed to Subic Bay where all her naval gear was stripped pending her deactivation. On 22 August 1946, she was placed out of service at Subic Bay and simultaneously turned over to the Maritime Commission's War Shipping Administration for disposal. That organization finally sold her to the Asia Development Corporation. on 3 March 1948 for scrapping. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 29 October 1948.