USS Awatobi (YTB-264)
Awatobi (center tugboat) alongside USS Rochester (CA-124) 20 September 1953, Mare Island Naval Shipyard, California
|Namesake:||A Hopi Indian word meaning "high place of the bow."|
|Builder:||Martinac Shipbuilding Corp., Tacoma, Washington|
|Laid down:||27 March 1944|
|Launched:||30 September 1944|
|Maiden voyage:||Tacoma to San Francisco, California|
|In service:||1 February 1945|
|Out of service:||1960|
|Reclassified:||YTB-264, 15 May 1944|
|Homeport:||San Francisco, California|
|Class and type:||Cahto-class district harbor tug|
|Length:||110 ft 0 in (33.53 m)|
|Beam:||27 ft 0 in (8.23 m)|
|Draft:||11 ft 4 in (3.45 m)|
|Propulsion:||diesel engine, single screw|
|Speed:||12 knots (22 km/h)|
|Crew:||12 enlisted men|
|Armament:||two .50-caliber machine guns|
USS Awatobi (YTB-264) was a harbor tugboat acquired by the U.S. Navy during the close of World War II. She was outfitted with two .50-caliber machine guns and assigned to the San Francisco Bay area where she provided tug services, and other harbor services as required.
Constructed at Tacoma, Washington
Awatobi (YT-264) was laid down on 27 March 1944 at Tacoma, Washington, by the J. M. Martinac Shipbuilding Corp.; reclassified a large harbor tug and redesignated YTB-264 on 15 May 1944; launched on 30 September 1944; and placed in service on 1 February 1945.
World War II service
Awatobi served out her entire naval career as a harbor tug in the 12th Naval District in the San Francisco Bay area of California.
Decommissioning and deactivation
She was deactivated in 1960, and her name was stricken from the Navy list in December 1960. The details of her disposition are not available.
This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.