USS Condor (AMc-14)
|USS Condor (AMc-14) Photographed in 1941, probably off San Diego, California|
USS Condor (AMc-14) Photographed in 1941, probably off San Diego, California
|Launched:||1937, as New Example|
|Acquired:||28 October 1940|
|Commissioned:||18 April 1941|
|Decommissioned:||17 January 1946|
|Fate:||Transferred to the Maritime Commission, 24 July 1946|
|Displacement:||195 long tons (198 t)|
|Length:||77 ft 9 in (23.70 m)|
|Beam:||21 ft 10 in (6.65 m)|
|Draft:||9 ft 4 in (2.84 m)|
|Depth of hold:||10 ft (3.0 m)|
|Propulsion:||1 × 200 bhp (149 kW) Enterprise DMW-6 diesel engine, one shaft|
|Speed:||9 knots (17 km/h; 10 mph)|
|Armament:||1 × .50 caliber machine gun|
USS Condor (AMc-14) was a coastal minesweeper of the United States Navy. The ship was constructed as the wooden-hulled purse seiner New Example at Tacoma, Washington in 1937. Acquired by the U.S. Navy on 28 October 1940 and converted into a coastal minesweeper, she was commissioned as Condor on 18 April 1941.
Condor was in Pearl Harbor when the attack occurred. In the early hours of 7 December 1941, sailors and officers aboard Condor spotted what looked like a periscope out of the water in the entrance to the harbor. They later found out that they spotted the periscope of a Japanese midget submarine attempting to get into the harbor. Condor's report was sent to the destroyer Ward (DD-139) which fired the first shots of the Pacific War. Condor spent the war in or near Hawaii with the U.S. Navy.
- This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- Photo gallery of USS Condor at NavSource Naval History