USS Cuttyhunk Island (AG-75)

From SpottingWorld, the Hub for the SpottingWorld network...
Career (USA) Union Navy Jack 100x35px
Name: USS Cuttyhunk Island
Namesake: An island off the coast of Massachusetts
Builder: New England Shipbuilding Corporation, South Portland, Maine
Laid down: 16 October 1944 as type (EC2-S-C1) hull, (MCE hull 3088)
Launched: 26 November 1944
Sponsored by: Mrs. M. M. Dayo
Acquired: by the Navy, 7 December 1944
Commissioned: 1 September 1945 as USS Cuttyhunk Island (AG-75)
Decommissioned: 3 May 1946, at Orange, Texas
Reclassified: AKS-23, 18 August 1951
Refit: Eureka Shipbuilding Corporation, Newburg, New York
Struck: date unknown
Fate: scrapped 1960
General characteristics
Type: Belle Isle-class miscellaneous auxiliary
Displacement: 5,371 tons
Tons burthen: 14,200 tons
Length: 442'
Beam: 57'
Draft: 23'
Propulsion: reciprocating steam engine, single shaft, 1,950hp
Speed: 11.5 knots
Complement: 891 officers and enlisted
Armament: four 40mm single gun mounts

USS Cuttyhunk Island (AG-75/AKS-23) was a Belle Isle-class miscellaneous auxiliary acquired by the U.S. Navy during World War II. Cuttyhunk Island was built as the war was coming to an end, and was used as a transport. She was later classified as a stores ship and eventually scrapped.

Constructed at Portland, Maine

Cuttyhunk Island (AG-75) was launched 26 November 1944 by New England Shipbuilding Corporation, South Portland, Maine, under a U.S. Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. M. M. Dayo.

World War II-related service

Cuttyhunk Island was acquired by the Navy 7 December 1944; outfitted at Eureka Shipbuilding Corp., Newburg, New York; and commissioned 1 September 1945, Lieutenant Commander N. G. Hole-man, USNR, in command.

Cuttyhunk Island departed Norfolk, Virginia, 24 November 1945 to carry troops from Bermuda to Boston, Massachusetts.

Post-war decommissioning

She reported to Orange, Texas, 31 January 1946, and there was placed out of commission in reserve 3 May 1946. She was reclassified General Stores Issue Ship AKS-23, 18 August 1951.