USS Dawn (IX-186)
USS Dawn awaiting decommissioning at Naval Station Norfolk, Virginia, sometime between February and April 1946.
|Career (United States)||100x35px|
|Builder:||Moore Shipbuilding Company, Oakland, California|
|Acquired:||25 December 1944|
|Commissioned:||26 December 1944|
|Decommissioned:||12 April 1946|
|Fate:||Transferred to War Shipping Administration 12 April 1946|
|Notes:||Built as commercial tanker SS Vacuum|
|Displacement:||15,381 tons (full load)|
|Length:||438 ft 5 in (133.63 m)|
|Beam:||57 ft (17 m)|
|Draft:||27 ft 6 in (8.38 m)|
1 x 4-inch (102-millimeter) gun|
1 x 3-inch (76.2-millimeter) gun
8 x 20-millimeter antiaircraft guns
Dawn was built in 1920 as the commercial tanker Vacuum by Moore Shipbuilding Company at Oakland, California. During World War II she came under control of the War Shipping Administration, which transferred her to the U.S. Navy at Brisbane, Australia, on 25 December 1944. She was commissioned on 26 December 1944 as the "miscellaneous unclassified" ship USS Dawn (IX-186) with Lieutenant Commander H. V. Perron in command.
Dawn departed Brisbane on 7 January 1945 for Hollandia, New Guinea, where she completed her outfitting between 17 January 1945 and 24 January 1945. She then carried gasoline to Leyte in the Philippine Islands, where she arrived on 2 February 1945. She provided floating gasoline storage in the Philippines until 11 November 1945.
Dawn was decommissioned at Norfolk on 12 April 1946 and transferred to the War Shipping Administration the same day.
- This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive: USS Dawn (IX-186)