USS Eutaw (1863)
|A lithograph of USS Eutaw|
A lithograph of the USS Eutaw
|Builder:||J. J. Abrahams, Baltimore, Maryland|
|Commissioned:||2 July 1863|
|Decommissioned:||8 May 1865|
|Fate:||Sold, 15 October 1867|
|Displacement:||1,173 long tons (1,192 t)|
|Length:||205 ft (62 m)|
|Beam:||35 ft (11 m)|
|Draft:||8 ft 6 in (2.59 m)|
|Speed:||10 kn (12 mph; 19 km/h)|
|Complement:||135 officers and enlisted|
|Armament:||4 × 9 in (230 mm) smoothbore guns, 2 × 100-pounder rifled guns, 2 × 20-pounder rifled guns|
USS Eutaw — a 1,173 long tons (1,192 t) Sassacus-class "double-ender" steam gunboat built at Baltimore, Maryland by J. J. Abrahams — was commissioned on 2 July 1863, Lieutenant Commander H. C. Blake in command.
Assigned to the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron, she spent most of the American Civil War operating on the Potomac and James Rivers and along the Atlantic coast. On 4-5 May 1864, Eutaw covered the Army as it landed below City Point, Virginia, and, on 14 July and 17 July, she bombarded the Confederates at Malvern Hill. Later on 5 July, along with Augusta, she towed the ill-fated monitor Tecumseh from Hampton Roads to the Gulf of Mexico, returning to the James River on 22 August.
In April 1865, with the war nearly at an end, Eutaw went to New York City on 26 April, where she was decommissioned on 8 May. She was sold on 15 October 1867.
|40x40px||This article about a specific ship or boat of the United States military is a stub. You can help Ship Spotting World by expanding it.|