USS Interpreter (AGR-14)
|Namesake:||One who explains, translates, or tells the meaning of.|
|Ordered:||as type (Z-EC2-S-C5) hull, MCE hull 2341|
|Builder:||J. A. Jones Construction Co. Inc., Panama City, Florida|
|Laid down:||5 January 1945, as Liberty ship SS Dudley H. Thomas|
|Launched:||8 February 1945|
|Sponsored by:||Miss Carrie Corbitt|
|Acquired:||by the U.S. Navy, 5 June 1957|
|Commissioned:||29 September 1958 as USS Interpreter (AGR-14) at Philadelphia Naval Shipyard|
|Decommissioned:||1 July 1965|
|Refit:||converted to a Radar Picket Ship at Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania|
|Struck:||1 July 1965|
|Fate:||transferred to the Reserve Fleet 1 July 1965; sold for scrapping 4 November 1974|
|Type:||Guardian-class radar picket ship|
|Tons burthen:||11,365 tons|
|Installed power:||two electric generators|
|Propulsion:||Two 220 PSI boilers; Filer & Stowell Co., of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, three cylinder triple-expansion reciprocating engine; Single 4 blade, 18' 6" propeller; Shaft Horsepower, 2,500|
|Capacity:||Fuel Oil, 443,646 gals; Diesel, 68,267 gals; Fresh Water, 15,082 gals; Ballast, 1,326,657 gals fresh water|
|Complement:||13 officers, 138 enlisted|
|Armament:||two 3"/50 guns|
USS Interpreter (AGR-14) was a Guardian-class radar picket ship acquired by the U.S. Navy in 1957 from the “mothballed” reserve fleet. She was reconfigured as a radar picket ship and assigned to radar picket duty in the North Pacific Ocean as part of the Distant Early Warning Line.
Liberty ship launched in Florida
Interpreter (AGR-14) was launched as Liberty Ship SS Dudley H. Thomas by J. A. Jones Construction Co., Inc., Panama City, Florida, 8 February 1945; sponsored by Miss Carrie Corbitt; and delivered 21 February 1945 to Merchants and Miners Transportation Co., Boston, Massachusetts.
The ship served as an aircraft freighter during the war and later as a cargo ship for various companies. She was in the National Defense Reserve Fleet 1947-1951 and from 25 August 1953 until acquired by the Navy 5 June 1957.
Reconfigured as a radar picket
Renamed Interpreter, the ship was converted to Navy use at Philadelphia Naval Shipyard and commissioned there 29 September 1958, Comdr. J. S. Craft in command.
One of a class of sixteen radar picket ships, Interpreter conducted shakedown exercises in the Caribbean before departing Guantanamo Bay 1 February 1959 for her new home port, San Francisco, California.
Equipped with the most advanced long range radar and communications gear, Interpreter jointed the Continental Air Defense Command as part of America's vital early warning system. Operating with search aircraft for periods of 3 to 4 weeks at sea, the ship reported and tracked aircraft at great distances and controlled interceptors in the event of enemy air attack.
Interpreter continued regular patrols in the Contiguous Radar Barrier, for 6 years, providing a vital link in the air defense of her country.
Honors and awards
Interpreter personnel qualified for the following medals:
- This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive - AGR-14 Interpreter