USS Niagara (SP-263)
|USS Niagara (SP-263)|
|Builder:||E. A. Fonda, Miami, Florida|
|Acquired:||5 July 1917|
|Fate:||Transferred to the United States Lighthouse Service, 29 May 1919|
|Career||United States Lighthouse Service|
|Acquired:||29 May 1919|
|Decommissioned:||21 April 1922|
Caught fire and sank, 27 December 1928
|Type:||Patrol boat / Lighthouse tender|
|Displacement:||33 long tons (34 t)|
|Length:||50 ft (15 m)|
|Beam:||16 ft (4.9 m)|
|Draft:||2 ft 9 in (0.84 m)|
|Propulsion:||50 hp (37 kW) gasoline engine, one shaft|
|Speed:||10.4 knots (19.3 km/h; 12.0 mph)|
• 1 × 1-pounder gun|
• 1 × machine gun
Niagara, a yacht built in 1915 by E. A. Fonda of Miami, Florida, was purchased by the United States Navy on 5 July 1917 from General H. M. Creel, of Miami, and was designated USS Niagara (SP-263). The navy redesignated the boat as SP-263 on 11 April 1918, dropping the name Niagara.
After the war, on 29 May 1919, she was transferred to the United States Lighthouse Service, converted into a lighthouse tender and rechristened USLHT Poinsettia. She was assigned to the 7th Lighthouse District in Key West, Florida.
Poinsettia was decommissioned on 21 April 1922 at the Philadelphia Navy Yard and was sold. She caught fire and sank on 27 December 1928.
- Photo gallery of USS Niagara at NavSource Naval History
|40x40px||This article about a specific ship or boat of the United States military is a stub. You can help Ship Spotting World by expanding it.|