USS Pawnee (SP-699)
From SpottingWorld, the Hub for the SpottingWorld network...
For other ships of the same name, see USS Pawnee.
|No Photo Available|
|Builder:||George Lawley & Sons, Neponset, Massachusetts|
|Acquired:||26 June 1917|
|Commissioned:||1 July 1917|
|Fate:||Sold, 12 July 1921|
|Type:||Patrol boat / minesweeper|
|Displacement:||75 long tons (76 t)|
|Length:||114 ft (35 m)|
|Beam:||14 ft (4.3 m)|
|Draft:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Speed:||13 knots (24 km/h; 15 mph)|
• 1 × 3-pounder gun|
• 2 × machine guns
USS Pawnee (SP-699), formerly named Monoloa II, a wooden hulled yacht, was built in 1904 by George Lawley & Sons Corp., Neponset, Massachusetts; purchased by the Navy on 26 June 1917 from Gordon Dexter of Beverly, Massachusetts; and commissioned on 1 July 1917.
Pawnee subsequently had her name dropped in 1918 and was listed as SP–699. She was outfitted with sweep gear and served as a section minesweeper until she decommissioned and was sold on 12 July 1921 to George E. Johnson and O. T. Ledberg of Edgewood, Rhode Island.
- This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- Photo gallery of USS Pawnee at NavSource Naval History