USS Wampanoag (ATA-202)
|Career (United States)||100x35px|
|Namesake:||The Wampanoag, a Native American tribe that formerly lived in Massachusetts and Rhode Island|
|Builder:||Gulfport Boiler and Welding Works, Port Arthur, Texas|
|Laid down:||24 August 1944|
|Launched:||10 October 1944|
|Commissioned:||8 December 1944|
|Decommissioned:||27 February 1947|
|Renamed:||USS Wampanoag 16 July 1948 (previously was USS ATA-202)|
|Struck:||1 June 1969|
|One battle star for World War II service|
Loaned to United States Coast Guard 25 February 1959.|
Became USCGC Comanche (WATA-202), later WMEC-202 medium endurance cutter.
Transferred to Coast Guard 1 June 1969.
|Class and type:||ATA-170-class tug|
610 tons (light)|
860 tons (full load)
|Length:||143 ft 0 in (43.59 m)|
|Beam:||33 ft 10 in (10.31 m)|
|Draft:||13 ft 2 in (4.01 m)|
1 x 3-inch (76.2-millimeter) gun|
2 x twin 40-millineter antiaircraft guns
The second USS Wampanoag (ATA-202), originally USS ATA-202, was a United States Navy auxiliary ocean-going tug in commission from 1945 to 1947.
USS ATA-202 was laid down on 24 August 1944 at Port Arthur, Texas, by the Gulfport Boiler and Welding Works. She was launched on 10 October 1944 and commissioned on 8 December 1944.
ATA-202 completed her shakedown and training during the latter half of December 1944 and proceeded via the Panama Canal to the Pacific Ocean. On 12 January 1945, she reported for World War II duty with the United States Pacific Fleet and, by late April 1945 had joined Service Squadron (ServRon) 10 at Ulithi Atoll in support of the Okinawa campaign. Late in May 1945, she moved to Okinawa itself for a brief tour of duty, then returned to her base at Ulithi Atoll in mid-June 1945. It is reasonable to assume that her round-trip voyage to Okinawa was for the purpose of towing battle-damaged ships back to Ulithi Atoll for repair.
ATA-202 continued her duty with ServRon 10 through the end of the war, in which hostilities with Japan ceased on 15 August 1945. She was awarded one battle star for her service during World War II.
ATA-202 returned to the United States in September 1945, and began nine months of duty in the 11th Naval District at San Diego, California. She was reassigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet's Texas Group at Orange, Texas, in March 1946 and reported there in July 1946. On 27 February 1947, she was decommissioned there and berthed with the Texas Group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet. While in reserve, she was renamed USS Wampanoag on 16 July 1948.
Wampanoag remained in reserve until 25 February 1959 at which time she was loaned to the United States Coast Guard. In the Coast Guard, she became the USCGC Comanche (WATA-202), later redesignated WMEC-202 as a medium endurance cutter. On 1 June 1969, her name was struck from the Navy List and she was transferred permanently to the Coast Guard that day.
Comnache operated along the United States West Coast from 1959 to 1967. She shifted her home port to Corpus Christi, Texas in 1967, then shifted it again to Eureka, California, in 1969. She operated from Eureka until decommissioned by the Coast Guard on 30 January 1980 and laid up. She was sold into commercial service in 1991, and operated commercially in the Puget Sound area of Washington until laid up in 2000.
- This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- coastguardchannel.com COMANCHE 202 FOUNDATION
- Photo gallery at navsource.org